Click to Enlarge
n 1955 the province leaders decided to open an Aspirancy for girls interested in religious life, but not old enough to enter as postulants (candidates for vowed religious life).
These high school students lived together and attended the high school program developed in the 1920s. From 1957, until the Aspirancy closed in 1967, the aspirants attended St. Francis High School while living in one of the two original homes on the Wheaton Franciscan property.
Prudance Moylan wrote in Hearts Inflamed, “Just as in the early days, the number of Sisters who worked in education ministries was small compared to the number who worked in health care. The Sister teachers were flexible workers who taught different grade levels, taught in diverse institutional settings, and collaborated on school wide performances and projects.”